Wednesday 18 August 2010

16.08.10 Bullet point blitz
Yeah yeah I know, it has been over two weeks without a blog, but life got crazy busy! I actually think I may even have to resort to bullet points people…yes bullet points. Here goes…
• Work was going very well. I had the lovely Monica assisting me in learning everything. Then on the 2nd August she told me she needed an important operation and she would be admitted the next day! I was worried for her, and glad she was having the operation so quickly, but deep inside I was panicking! How was I ever going to be able to learn everything whilst dealing with the day to day work! Luckily the operation went well for my friend, and she is now recovering at home. Also the work is crazy busy, but the whole lab, and other hospital staff are helping me. I am managing to order blood, stock, and communicate with other hospitals. Yet I have so many questions, and I am wonder when their patience with the clueless one will run out.. and also when I will actually start doing something of help and worth here! Patience Zoe ! Learning protocol is tricky but I am enjoying it so far. In at the deep end as they say.

• I experienced my first earthquake here in Africa. I was lying in my bed and it began to vibrate. Stop tittering you lot! I thought it was a convoy of trucks on the main road a quarter of a mile away, but I was rectified in the morning by Dr. Yanke the Polish surgeon ( ironically I can’t spell his name) who discussed it at morning meeting. According to his reports, as he has a radio that can miraculously pick up English speaking stations! Lucky bugger. It was apparently 5.5 on the Richter scale, but a large number of miles below Lindi. It’s the only experience I’ll have of the earth moving for some time! Sorry mum and dad!

• I went on a beach weekend to Mtwara. The Diocese owns a lovely beach house which has a garden directly onto the unspoilt white sand beaches of the Indian Ocean. Oh how the church live eh! I could have laid there for two whole days straight, but the itinerary was too full! Day one included shopping for things not available at home (I bought myself some Heinz baked beans for about £1.70…not to barginous!), we visited the fish market too. This was a crazy and somewhat overwhelming experience, full of colours, smells and a great deal of bargaining by Tasneem, an English doctor who works in the hospital in Ndanda. I successfully returned with tuna, blue fish, and a fish that will rename nameless until I know it, but was big and red!

Brigite ( the German doctor I met in Masasi), Tasneem and I were also in charge on babysitting the children of Switz couple we were also staying with, whilst they went diving. Apparently the diving here is exceptional and one of the best places in the world. The instructor Jonny a guy from North Yorkshire (I think he was lying, he had no strange accent!) said that he had seen two Humpback whales in the bay the day before. If I was not so bloody scared of diving, I would definitely want take advantage of where I live. However, I also heard snorkelling was great, and so I planned to do that instead. Maybe a Humpback would pass by anyway!

So it was decided that we would take these two small children on a traditional but somewhat dilapidated Dhow boat with no life jackets across the rough water of the bay. I was nervous to say the least, and even though the boat leant heavily to one side we arrived to an idyllic private beach safely, and the children loved every minute (me not so much). Once on the beach we all swam in the crystal clear water and watched as the light changed the colours to a thousand types of blue and green. We hunted for shells, and built a sand castle car! Nice! We then returned in the Dhow, and I enjoyed it more on the return trip! It was a great weekend, and I met some amazing people, but it was a very expensive two days to say the least, on my volunteer budget anyway!

• Oh yes, I also sprained my ankle on way to the highly anticipated but now doomed snorkelling trip. Had a very swollen foot for a week. Still tender now, but doing ok!

• My surrogate mum and dad, Barbara and Tony had to leave for England unexpectedly for two weeks which was sad, but I met my new housemate Faith. She is a fellow VSO volunteer and the HIV and AIDS doctor here at Nyangao. I have a good history befriending Canadians, so I was happy to meet here.We get on great, and spend most of the time chatting away, and playing word games…. another rerun of the epic Scrabz marathon of Ecuador 2009 is on the cards. We also cooked the fish that shall remain nameless until I know it. This was bought at the Mtwara fish market (see above), and it was accompanied by coconut rice, from the coconuts in out garden and washed down with wine made by the nuns at Ndanda. Yummy!
I think that may be all for now?! Oh no wait… I found out that I work with five Manchester United fans, two Chelsea, one Liverpool, and only two other Arsenal supporters. They go to the doctor who lives next door to watch matches. I am working on getting invited to watch the games. Although a woman in the gang…I’m not so sure how successful I will be. They do like to tell me though that Arsenal drew with Liverpool, and by how many Man U won by i.e. they still revel in mocking me!
Sorry again for the layout! I had to do it this way to remember it all. It can be very difficult to find time, but it is strange how I always have time to watch my tv shows on my laptop. Hmmm???

No comments:

Post a Comment